Thursday, April 18, 2013

Bioshock Infinite "I Will Save You" Lyrics Explained (SPOILER ALERT)


Lyrics (Meaning behind every line included SPOILER ALERT)


Verse 1 (This verse is about Booker becoming Comstock and what Comstock did afterwards)

I washed away my sins to cleanse the past  ( Booker being baptized after wounded knee  )

Became the man I never wanted to be  ( Resulted in Booker becoming Comstock )

Putting a city in the sky so vast  ( Who built Columbia the city in the sky )

The monster inside consumed I knew what i had to do  ( Comstock realizing what he "needed to do")

Drown in flame the mountains of man  ( Destroy the cities below this line is a direct quote from the game )

A child now is what i need  ( Comstock needing an heir to "Drown in Flame the mountains of man, I guess he's too old to accomplish this himself )

To complete my evil deed  ( Evil deed refers to the plan for his heir )




Chorus 1  (This is obviously from Bookers perspective regretting all he's done and wanting to make it right note that he says Elizabeth at the end of this verse)

I know I've made mistakes

and it's time for me to pay

but now you've been taken away

I will save you Elizabeth




Verse 2

When my loins bore no fruit  ( Comstock being infertile due to his Tear experiments )

I set my eyes to a new pursuit  ( Forming a plan since he can't form a child himself )

Tearing into a new reality  ( Putting his plan to action by tearing into a reality where a Booker who didn't get baptized exists )

I stole a child from myself to inherit my personality  ( Comstock Stealing Bookers daughter Anna from him.  In a sense he is stealing Anna from himself because Booker and Comstock are the same person who just made different choices )

-----------Short Break--------------

Chorus 2  ( Same as last chorus minus the Elizabeth just says "I will save you" there's a reason for this)

I know I've made mistakes

and it's time for me to pay

but now you've been taken away

I will save you




Verse 3

My sweet anna what have I done  ( Booker Regretting what he has done which is described in the next line )

Selling you to clear a debt  ( Booker giving away Anna to Comstock to clear away his gambling debt )

I will atone little girl don't fret  ( Booker wanting to make it right )

for we will be together once more  ( Booker wanting to be reunited with his daughter)




Verse 4 (Final)

Dragged through a portal I was given chance anew to seek redemption  ( Lutece Twins taking him through a tear, so he could stop Comstock )

My mind fabricated memories to replace the old  ( After being dragged through his mind made up new memories to replace the old, ie. "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt")

but Comstock foretold my return  ( Comstock's Prophecy )

False prophet come to take his precious lamb  ( Quote from his prophecy )

Marked with the letters AD  ( Booker carved AD into his hand as Penance after giving away his daughter Anna )

Loving memory of Anna Dewitt

If only he had the wit to know a fathers love  (  If only Comstock could've of forseen just what Booker would do to save Elizabeth/Anna )

Freeing you from the tower  ( Comstock locked Anna in a tower after stealing her and changed her name to Elizabeth )

it was well within my power

Freeing your mind proved to be quite a fight  ( Destroying the Cipher )

and after you saw the universe with new light  ( Elizabeth being able to see all the different "worlds" after destroying the Cipher )

You showed me the truth of my past  ( Her taking Booker through different "worlds" and showing him what actually happened with his past and branching universes )

The monster was me  ( Booker understanding that he "is" Comstock )

You killed me to kill him which killed you  ( Elizabeth killing Booker at the baptism in order to kill Comstock for good which in turn caused Elizabeth to cease to exist )

You freed us both  ( Booker referring to how when Elizabeth killed Comstock they were free )

Anna and Booker together forever  ( Due to the killing Booker and Anna can now live a life together and Comstock will never come to be in any reality ever )




Last Chorus (Finale)  ( This chorus is switched up a bit to add a conclusion by Booker saying how his mistakes have been fixed.  And notice how it now says Anna now instead of Elizabeth.  It is written that way to reveal at the end that Elizabeth and Anna are the same person. )

I know I've made mistakes

They have been payed in full

I have saved Anna, my sweet Anna




I know I've made mistakes

They have been payed in full

I have saved Anna, my sweet Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment